Saturday, September 4, 2010

SEP 5TH TEACHERS DAY


Prayer to the Guru

Indian traditions stress greatly on the importance of the guru or the teacher, especially in the realm of spirituality.

Adi guru Shankaracharia begins his Gurustotram or Verses to the Guru with the following Sanskrit Sloka.

Mantra:

Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu Guru Devo Maheshwara
Guru Sakshath Parambrahma Tasmai Shri Gurave Namaha

Meaning: Guru is the creator Brahma, Guru is the preserver Vishnu, Guru is the destroyer shiva. Guru is directly the supreme spirit —
I offer my salutations to this Guru.

In our land the teacher who imparts training is held in very high esteem. The teacher is respected like a father. As the above saying describes, the teacher is considered as the 'trimurtis'- Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva - all rolled into one.


In Simadbhagavad Gita, Sri krishna Bhagavan emphasis the need

of seeking a Guru-

tad viddhi pranipatena

pariprasnena sevaya

upadeksyanti te jnanam

jnaninas tattva darsinah

(B.g. 4.34)

Meaning:-

"Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self realised souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth."(ch.4, vrs.34).

Kabir Das, a poet in 15th century India, wrote in one of his Dohas (couplets in Hindi),

"Guru Govind dou khade, kaake laagoon paye
Balihari guru aapki, Govind diyo milaye."


Translated:

A famous poem by Kabir illustrating the meaning of this mantra goes like "Guru and God both appeared before me. Whom should I bow to first? I bow to my guru for it is he who introduced me to God."

Today is September 5, which is celebrated as Teacher’s Day in India. 5th September is the birthday of a great teacher Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan. When Dr. Radhakrishnan became the (second) president of India in 1962, some of his students and friends approached him and requested him to allow them to celebrate 5th September, his “birthday”. In reply, Dr, Radhakrishnan said, “instead of celebrating my birthday separately, it would be my proud privilege if September 5 is observed as Teachers’ day”. The request showed Dr.Radhakrishnan’s love for the teaching profession. From then onwards, the day has been observed as Teachers’ Day in India.

Friends, knowledge of good things and all the good virtues can only be imparted by a teacher, a guru, and not by any book available in the market. It is very true that teacher help’s us to understand our subject but there is one very important thing that none of us should forget, that teachers not only make us literate but also educated. Literal knowledge can be gained from any book, but we always need teachers to gain education. Teachers are the one who facilitate learning of lessons of life, morals, differentiate between good and bad.

Teachers have an influencing role in the life of every student. They are like beacons of light, guiding us in the formative years of our life. Teachers mould us and shape our future. What we learn from our teachers remains with us, throughout our life. However, very often, we fail to show our appreciation and gratitude for their altruistic devotion. Teachers do need encouragement and support from the community to feel that their efforts are being recognized. To serve the purpose, Teacher's Day is celebrated throughout the world, year by year. By celebrating National Teacher's Day, we thank our teachers for providing us their invaluable guidance.

I love and admire my teachers because I taught by their talents, Equipped by their efficiency, Assisted by their advice, Cared by their concern, Helped by their humility, Encouraged by their efforts, and Raised by their reasoning.

Today is teacher’s day the day which makes us realize that whatever we are today is all because of our teachers. If we get a chance to meet our old teachers then it is something so special feelings and experience. Today we are like this because of our teachers. So say a small wish and prayer for them. On this teacher's day and always I thank my teachers, without them I am nothing that includes my loving Mother and my loving father who guided me as parents as well as those days in the school as teachers. Happy Teacher's day.

Every teacher they had something different for us to learn, some taught me how to be perfectly dressed, some taught me how to behave with others, some taught patience, commitment, and dedication. Some taught basic manners, courtesy.

Today, I would like to thank all the teachers. Thank you all (Especially my Beena chechi as she is my first teacher, and school teachers Amelia, Jayachandra sir, sairabhanu teacher, Ramani teacher all of whom I miss so much today. My Inter college Principal sir, Mr.O.Seetharama Murthy sir. My degree college principal sir. Dr.S.Anjaneyulu, Jagi sangam and Lakshmi Madam.

Happy Teacher's day to all the teachers in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment